Important Steps, Inc.
Home & Community Based Early Childhood Program
Will Walk Your Child to a Healthy Future
PARENTS and CAREGIVERS!!!
Therapeutic & Evaluation
Early Intervention Services at NO COST to you
Early Intervention Program (EIP)
- Public and Statewide program for infants and toddlers with special needs ages birth to 3 years old.
- Funded and regulated by the NYS Department of Health, and in NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The EIP covers the cost of early intervention services only, and does not pay for day care or other fees charged by community setting
- EI services are provided where it’s best for the child-in places such as your home, day care, or other community settings
- Children Birth to 3 years old with diagnosed conditions that lead to developmental delays (such as Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, autism, etc) are eligible for EIP
- Children with no diagnosis who have delays in development may be eligible for the EIP if their delays are serious enough
- If you as a parent have concerns about your child’s development, you can call the NYC Department Of Health and Mental Hygiene, EIP at 311 to refer your child. Important Steps is one of the approved by the Department Programs can help you to refer the child if you wish.
- If your child is found eligible for services by one of the NYCEIP approved evaluation sites, you as a parent, NYC DOH Early Intervention Official Designee, and other team members will make the Individualized Family Service Plan (“IFSP”) to help your child and your family to reach her/his potential
- EI Services in your IFSP (plan) are authorized by NYCEIP and are provided at NO COST to you. The NYCEIP will arrange for the services to be provided and will choose the provider based on the needs of your child and family. Your child’s health insurance may be used to cover some of the costs . All other costs for EIP service are paid for by NYC and NYS
IMPORTANT STEPS, Inc. is approved by the NYS DOH and has a contract with NYC Department of Heath and Mental Hygiene to provide the following EI services:
Speech Therapy for Communication, Language and Understanding
Special Education Instruction for Cognitive Skills, Logical Thinking, Problem Solving
Physical Therapy for Physical Development, Sitting, Standing, Walking
Occupational Therapy for Adaptive, Self Help Skills, Sensitivity Problems,Use of Hands
Feeding Therapy for Children with Problems Eating and Tolerating different textures of food
Counseling and Play Therapy for Social-Emotional Issues, Behavior Problems, Poor Interaction Skills with Children of the Same Age.
Hearing Impairment and Vision Therapy
Nutrition Therapy for Underweight or Overweight Children
Family Training to Teach and Assist Family on How to Meet their Child’s Needs
If you are from a bilingual speaking family, we have therapists that speak:
Luo & Swahili (East African)